Welcome to the Butterlaw Gallery
The Drawing Room
A large bookcase bursting with books, literature, maps, and magazines, over 400 DVD’s and games built into the wide adjoining hallway provides encouragement to relax.
“Rules are meant to be broken ~ it’s more important that the interior reflects your living style and personality than any conventional rule, I don’t think people have enough fun with decor, it doesn’t always have to be so serious…”
Accessories are where I make a statement…
Showcase your personal possessions to reveal your personality, adventures, and achievements, mix your accessories with new and old ~ we all have a past, present, and future and these are all a part of our personal histories…
At Butterlaw, guest beds are swathed in tactile furnishings, windows are dressed in luxuriously interlined curtains.
Real comfort, visual and physical is vital –
It doesn’t matter what your own personal style is, elegant and sophisticated or casual and whimsical…
Whether you are minimalist, eclectic, classic or bohemian, the most important thing is to make your home livable.
A well-designed home is one that is both comfortable and functional.
Twenty things that make life worth living
- A Log fire in winter;
- Luggage by Louis Vuitton;
- Butterlaw sunsets;
- Our freshly-laid eggs poached for breakfast;
- Hermes’ orange;
- Range Rover Sport, with its elegant styling;
- Leonardo Di Caprio in The Wolf of Wall Street;
- Tandoori Extravaganza at Amran’s restaurant in Berwick.;
- Rioja Gran Reserva;
- The view down the Luberon valley from a hot air balloon, while sipping chilled Bollinger;
- Michael Vee’s Thrice-cooked chips;
- Pheasants, Peacocks
- Marble sculpture of Apollo;
- The walled city of Dubrovnik;
- Emms Shapplin’s album Carmine Meo;
- Tanqueray 10 with ice & lemon;
- Rich Georgian mahogany Bow fronted chests;
- Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon in Some Like It Hot;
- Sunday lunch roast rib of Beef;
- Sunshine on Leith
sungat the Scottish Cup final 2016
The Garden and Grounds
French doors open from the south-facing dining area onto the large paved terrace, ideal for summer breakfasting. The timber pagoda and trellis on which wisteria and other flowering plants grow, creating colour, shelter and a place where guests can enjoy a drink in the tranquil setting.
The Butterlaw Kitchen Garden raised beds
Doreen with our hens providing fresh eggs every day
Doreen’s Perfectly-Poached Egg:
- Ideally, eggs need to be really fresh for good poached eggs so that it keeps its shape in the water.
- Bring a large, heavy, shallow pan of water to a steady, gentle simmer.
- Add two dessertspoons of distilled clear vinegar – the white will not wander or separate from the yolk.
- Crack the eggs into heatproof teacups, then lower into the water and slip them out onto the simmering surface.
- Cover with a lid and leave undisturbed for 3 minutes. At the end of this time, check and lift the eggs out quickly with a perforated spoon.
- Pat dry on a sheet of kitchen roll before serving. Simple!
Breakfast is everything…
The beginning, the first thing. It’s the mouthful that is the commitment to a new day.
The charm of the breakfast table is that it glitters with silver cutlery and shines with white linen.
Over the last 35 years, Michael Vee has established a reputation as one of the country’s leading Interior Designers.
Based in Melrose in the Scottish Borders, Michael Vee Design is a one-stop destination synonymous with the creation of elegant, stylish and outstanding interiors.
Their projects reflect the extensive talent and experience in fulfilling luxurious spaces for either individual clients or the commercial and leisure industry.
“We are continually searching for decorative items and object ‘art which are sourced from all corners of the world and chosen with a designer’s eye for proportion, detail, and style… “
Our shops define the style of the ” Michael Vee Brand ” an affinity for classic forms whether antique, vintage or modern – so that the finished result appears timeless.